Before you choose your next bouquet of romantic flowers for her, read on. We'll explain the meaning behind the top 7 flowers of love. Then you'll be able to give a gift that expresses exactly how you feel.
History of the Language of FlowersFloriography, or the language of flowers, grew in popularity both in the US and England during the 1800s.
In Victorian times, true sentiments could not be expressed openly due to constraints on what was considered proper. Using flowers to communicate coded messages soon became standard practice among lovers.
People commonly carried around flower dictionaries so they could give and receive talking bouquets to communicate with those around them.
Hundreds of books about flower meanings were published during this time. Each flower could have multiple meanings. Meanings could be based on the appearance or properties of the plant or from its behavior or habitat.
While interpretations for each plant varied from book to book, many of the common flowers evolved to have a unanimous meaning.
Here are a few of the most common romantic flowers and their meaning.
1. RosesRoses have different meanings depending on the color. They are the most popular romantic flower to give. Partly due to their expense (and thus making the gift extra special) and partly due to their enticing aroma.
A red rose is known as the lover's rose. This rose symbolizes love, romance, beauty, and perfection.
A white rose means innocence and humility. Yellow roses mean friendship and joy. Pink roses express admiration and gratitude. Purple roses are for love at first sight.
A bouquet of long-stem red roses is a classic romantic gesture for anniversaries, Valentine's Day or just to say "I love you."
2. JasmineJasmine is a fragrant and beautiful white bloom to give as a romantic gesture. This flower's meaning is all about sensuality and love. It could also mean grace and elegance and modesty.
It's a truly romantic flower to add to a mixed bouquet. Jasmine flowers are strongly scented and fill a room with their intoxicating scent.
3. OrchidsOne of the best things about orchids is that they are hardy. Whether you give them in a potted plant or a cut bouquet, they last a long time for the recipient to enjoy.
Orchids are considered a rare and exotic bloom. They express love, beauty, luxury, and strength. Your lucky lady will be flattered with this rare flower and its romantic meaning.
Orchids come in various hues. Often with a darker middle that fades to a lighter gradient at the petal tips.
4. TulipsA tulip is one of the most easily recognized and beloved flowers. The word tulip comes from the Persian word turban because of tulips of the resemblance of this flower's petals to the overlapping folds of cloth in a turban.
An arrangement of tulips is the perfect date flowers because they are not too showy or overwhelming. Tulips are petite and elegant and beautifully simple.
There are many colors to choose from and can work as a potted plant as well as in a garden. Tulips mean perfect love making it the ideal romantic flowers for a girlfriend.
The color of the tulips provides extra meanings on top of perfect love. Red tulips mean true love. Yellow tulips can mean hopeless love or cheerful thoughts.
White tulips can be given as an act of forgiveness. You can gift someone variegated tulips if you want to tell her that she has beautiful eyes.
You can't go wrong with a bouquet of this love flower for your lady love.
5. DittanyThis romantic love flower symbolizes love and passion. Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of beauty and love is said to have used this flower extensively.
This flower is rumored to be an aphrodisiac. Place a vase with it in the bedroom and see how it spices up your lovemaking.
6. GardeniaGardenias are a large, white fragrant flower with beautifully curved petals. The flower meaning refers to secret love. It's a great flower to give to someone you have a crush on but doesn't know it, or if your love is a secret only the two of you know about.
It's one of the most romantic flowers of love that fits well in a mixed bouquet.
7. RanunculusRanunculus is a lesser-known love flower that is perfect for romantic love. It is also sometimes called buttercups because of the flower's tight, swirled petals.
The flower meaning here is charm, radiance and strong attraction. Gift these romantic flowers to a girlfriend you are infatuated with and let her know how dazzling she really is.
Romantic Flowers for HerWe hope you enjoyed learning about the secret meaning behind some of the most romantic flowers for her.
Next time there is a special occasion, or just because you want to show her you care, choose a selection of carefully arranged flowers of love to make her heart melt.
At Peachtree Petals, all of our floral arrangements are lovingly made by trained floral designers. We promise you will get the highest quality arrangements for the best value. We'll even get it delivered to your special someone the same day in metro Atlanta or Southern California.
Choose from a wide selection of beautiful arrangements today to make her smile.